Sunday 27 February 2011

Back to the Present

Yeah, maybe the post title isn't as clever as I wanted it to be, but it does serve its purpose.

For the last week I've been slipping badly, both concerning this blog as well as in many other ways. Of course I have a reason for last weekend with me being in London and thus forced to be offline for a while. But from Monday onwards I've had Internet access and still I've been messing up my posting rhythm - i.e. skipping some days when it comes to posting. It's been unplanned each time and allways due to both physical and mental exhaustion.

Well, I knew I needed some time to just relax and let myself be for a while and that's what I've been doing for the past two days. Today has really helped and I'm starting to feel like myself again so maybe I'll even manage to be a bit productive tomorrow and even figure out a plan for Monday's long day on campus. Today productivity has been the last thing on my mind. However, I still managed to progress with the 250-project, and it also played a big part in my feeling a bit better as well.

After an anime-filled day I figured out a live action film would be nice for a change. It had to be something fun and inspiring so I ended up watching Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis, 1985) [currently 72 on the list]. I've seen the film a few times before and, even though it's been around ive years or so since I last saw it, I could remeber most of what was about to happen next. However, that didn't matter at all - I was still laughing, squirming around and biting my nails as if I had never seen the film before.

Even though the whole film is brilliant and at times makes your stomach hurt from laughing too much, the best part of it (and the reason for most of those agonising fits of laughter) is the nutty professor Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown. Christopher Lloyd creates the ultimate demented genius that is the epitome of a crazy professor. Since my first acquaintance with Doc Brown around 15 years ago, I have compared every loony genious to him - and rarely found them as satisfying or fit for their purpose. You just can't get the same effect without the rolling eyes, electrified hair, a pure and unyielding love of science and a fluffy dog called Einstein.

I think I'll have to watch the sequels soon as well, just to see more of this magnificent nutty doctor and finish the story. After all, it is a trilogy and the ending of the first film simply begs to be followed soon by the next installation. But that shall have to wait until another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment